Ads 468x60px

May 16, 2013

The First Caliph of RasulAllah ﷺ - PART 12 (Compiling of the Holy Qur’an)



Compiling of the Holy Qur’an


Narrated by Sayyidina Zayd ibn Thabit:“Abu Bakr as-Siddiq sent for me when the people of Yamama had been killed (i.e. a number of the Prophet's Companions who fought against Musaylimah the Liar).
(I went to him) and found Umar bin al-Khattab sitting with him. Abu Bakr then said (to me): “Umar has come to me and said, “Casualties were heavy among the Qurra’ of the Qur’an (i.e. those who knew the Qur’an by heart) on the day of the Battle of Yamama, and I am afraid that more heavy casualties may take place amongst the Qurra’ on other battlefields, whereby a large part of the Qur’an may be lost. Therefore I suggest, you (Abu Bakr) order that the Qur’an be collected.”

I said to 'Umar, “How can you do something which the Messenger of Allah did not do?” Umar said, “By Allah, it is good!” Umar kept on urging me on the matter, until Allah expanded my chest to it, and I came to hold the view that Umar held.”

Then Abu Bakr said (to me), “You are a wise young man and we do not have any suspicion about you, and you used to write the Divine Inspiration for the Messenger of Allah. So you should search for (the fragmentary scripts of) the Qur’an and collect it in one book).”

By Allah, if they had ordered me to shift one of the mountains, it would not have been heavier for me than this ordering me to collect the Qur’an. Then I said to Abu Bakr, “How will you do something which the Messenger of Allah did not do?” Abu Bakr replied, "“By Allah, it is good.” Abu Bakr kept on urging me to accept until Allah expanded my chest to it for what He had expanded the chests of Abu Bakr and Umar. 

So I started searching for the Qur’an and collecting it from (what was written on) palmed stalks, thin white stones and also from the men who knew it by heart, till I found the last verse of Surah al-Tawba (the Surah of Repentance) with Abu Khuzayma al-Ansari, and I did not find it with anybody other than him. The verse is, “Verily, there has come to you a Messenger from among yourselves: it grieves him that you should perish... (to the end of the surah).” Then the complete manuscripts (copy) of the Qur’an remained with Abu Bakr till he died, then with Umar till the end of his life, and then with Hafsa, the daughter of Umar.”

Abu Ya’la narrated that Sayyidina Ali said, “The one with the greatest reward for the written copies of the Qur’an is Abu Bakr. Abu Bakr was the first to gather the Qur’an between two boards.”


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your Comment here...

 

Visitor's Traces

Total Page views